Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

I want to wish Happy Father's Day to a very special Father. He is not my father by birth, but by marriage. I call him "Dad" because that is what he is to me.

My birth father was never around as I was growing up. My parents divorced when I was very little, leaving me brought up by my Mom. I had a great childhood and would not change a thing. Sure growing up I had questions as to why my birth Dad was not around, why he wouldn't send me even a card on my birthday, or just call the say "Hi".

I met my husband in High School, and I fell in love with his family from the start. When we got married it was not my birth father that walked me down the aisle, it was my husbands father. I thought it was only right to have the father that was there for me more in the past 5 years, than the father that was never there for me growing up. In case you are wondering...my birth father was at the wedding...sitting in the crowd with all of the other guests.

My Dad has been a constant in my life for the past 17 years. Whenever I have a problem he has a solution, He is a great father and grandfather. He was there for me when I needed him most 5 years ago and for that I am eternally grateful. He helped us through a very rough time, he listened, hugged, loved me and gave me a shoulder to cry on. He is the rock in our family and without him we would truly fall apart.

Dad thanks for always being there and loving us unconditionally, but most of thanks for the memories. I love you, Happy Fathers Day, Dad.




1 comments:

Valerie

Erin,

This was such a touching post. What a wonderful tribute to such a special man in your life. No wonder Mike is such a wonderful husband and father; he had a fabulous role model.

And might I add, Mike is the spitting image of his father!

Blessings to you,
Val

Post a Comment